Thursday, October 8, 2009

A New Experience

I ventured out of home with a sick body to carry out an initiative in college called MET-NAG (News Analysis Group). All through my way I was confused as to what would I present to the group and finally I found a topic or rather an article on education which I could speak about.

As soon as I entered the classroom I was glad to see 10% of the class sitting and discussing/ analysing the news. But in between the discussion I came to know abot STORMET Marketing activities to be held in less than an hour. Brand Charade and Case Study on Virgin Mobile. Wow Case Study and that too Virgin Mobile, sounded cool! So I followed a couple of my classmates to the computer lab.

Start Google! Start Wikipedia! Start everything that could help me gather news about Uncle Richard! Looked to be an interesting case as I started guessing what could be the issue they would want us to present on. Branding / Communication / strategies, what could it be? Why haven't they succeeded? What on earth could be the actual topic of discussion?

I gathered as much info as possible and was moved to the venue. I was greeted with scenes of people working on laptops. Discussing the financial numbers, the reach of the advertisements, the everything and anything that I didn't search for. Nevertheless it wasn't the time to sit and analyse what you didn't have and rather consolidate your position. So I settled down with my group members and we started sharing our data. I was completely geared and raring to hit the audience with my thoughts and ideas.

Volunteers started moving around with pieces of folded paper which had the group number. We picked one and announced that we were the second group. I was glad as we would be able to present our ideas sooner than later and all that initial enthusiasm would not die. Wow!

Finally the organiser stood in front of us and started speaking out the rules & regulations. Ok! Now this is new but maybe could be some innovative rules for a case study. Maybe? Suddenly the organiser says, you cannot point out at objects in the classroom. Pointing at objects for case study? WTF? Aren't we supposed to present case study? What does pointing at objects have to do with case study? I finally gathered my courage to call one of the volunteers and asked him, "how would it affect if I point at any object in between a case study?" To my shock and disbelief I was told," the case study was cancelled just 10 mins back and you're the second group for brand charades!"

WTF!

Now I sit here trying to guess what people intend to say about brand names and their tag lines! Huh? I never played this game in my entire life not even when I was bored to death! So hmmmm I'm sitting here and guessing and trying to understand what exactly the "F" is it when you pull your ear lobe, what's it that you indicate when you hit your elbow, what do you convey when you stamp your fist? What the hell is it?

But what I did learn is that communication does happen without words and with minimal actions, with a lot of vigour and excitement which makes verbal communication not so exciting in front of this medium. :-)

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

No comments: