Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Question Unanswered!

So it's Onam today and yeah it has been a good day so far! Actually to think about it, this auspicious day has followed a day which has been my best in 2009! Owing to certain uncertainties I still cannot talk about it but yeah it was my best day and I am continuing to live a gifted day!

Onam celebrations are full on for every Malayali. Infact they say that even if you have to sell your house, a Malayali has to celebrate his Onam with grandeur!

I got up early today morning not because it was Onam but just got up unknowingly at 5 am!I have been trying hard to get up at that hour of the day but somehow wasn't successful in it. Today when I woke up at 5am I allowed myself the liberty to decide in the next half an hour if today had to be the day to go for a morning walk! Gosh! For some reasons "neend" still eluded me and I decided to just kick the blanket and get out of the bed. So off I was!

I have a habit of checking my mails every morning as soon as I get up and this one I don't compromise until I am in a jungle.So every house which doesn't have an internet I call it a jungle! I went through my inbox and suddenly felt the urge to write a mail to someone special on Onam and yes I did mail her, a motivational mail. (I hope it is one.)

As I went for my walk it felt good. I didn't want to exert myself and hence concluded to have a 30 mins walk. When I came back and completed my daily chores I was asked to go and give some Onam Ashamshgal (Onam Wishes in Malayalam) to Mami, Mythili Mami. I love her simply because she is soft spoken and I have never seen her without a smile.

On reaching her house, with some typical Southie gifts which include the Banana Chips, some South Indian Banana's, Coffee powder and a few add ons, I realised that it didn't look like any celebration around. Mami stays alone in her one room flat at a distance of 15 mins from my house. She had a son whom she and her husband slogged to make a doctor. On the night of his graduation, while returning from a party they lost him in an accident.A few years later Mami lost her husband as well! I saw today that she still has the house name plate on her son's name which proudly declared his name as "Dr. ....." I gave her the gifts and just couldn't think about what do I talk to her. All that I could ask her was if she had breakfast and what about her lunch. I didn't quiet like the fact that she doesn't have breakfast and her reasoning pushed me almost to tears,"What breakfast do I make for just one person? I have some food by 11:30 and then in the evening if I feel I have a glass of Kaapi (coffee) and finally end the day with a bit of food." I got up to thank her for the blessings not knowing what do I tell her. Was it really a Happy Onam for her? Nevertheless I had to leave as I was almost getting choked with emotions there.

I got into a rick and thought about the 10 mins that I was with her. She was still smiling. Infact as I sat and thought about it, it reminded me of another such a strong person whom I know having a similar experience in life. A teacher from my school lost her only son 3 days after his marriage, while he was on his honeymoon. Her husband suffered a paralytic attack and she had brought their son on her own but she was a lady with high principles! Some of my friends and me, tried to help her but she refused and never budged from her decision. unfortunately she too lost her husband a few months back.

The rick journey had now ended but my fight had just began in search of an answer, "What do people celebrate for when they loose everyone they love?" I don't mean they turn Devdas or in the case of Mami and my teacher they don't stay in touch with anyone (infact they are still very active) but what really inspires them to move on with everyday, what helps them celebrate the occasions? What makes them smile always?

What is it that makes them celebrate? I still search.......

No comments: